Mac and cheese is one of the all-time best comfort foods. What could be better than cooking it up over your campfire to share with family and friends? REI shares this recipe for *spicy* mac and cheese, which can definitely be done sans jalapeños and hot sauce if you prefer it without the heat. Enjoy!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (we used cheddar)
- 2 jalapeños (or to taste)
- Hot sauce to taste (we used Sriracha)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Remove one tsp and stir into breadcrumb mixture.
- Once butter is melted, whisk in flour and milk. Add pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in mustard, cheese, jalapeños, salt, and pepper. Top with breadcrumb mixture and hot sauce.